Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Advent calendar

Man, I love Christmas. I love the lights. I love the hot chocolate. I love the snow (okay, maybe the Utah snow that actually exists this time of year). I love how the Christmas tree lights up our house at night. I love ornaments and garland and nativities. Mostly, I love how the Christmas spirit lights up faces and hearts. I wanted to make an advent calendar this year that embodies that spirit of Christmas. Tammy, Chuck's oldest sister, emailed the family explaining their idea for a service advent calendar this year. It was perfect! (Thanks, Tam!) So, I made up a list of fun Christmas activities and service opportunities (check this link and this link) for the month of December. I had planned to do this:

Our slightly unconventional advent calendar


I put a scripture in each envelope telling the Christmas story. I wanted to do a "service" each day, but didn't want to confine myself to a certain service opportunity each day. So, next to our advent calendar, I have a jar of our Christmas activities. That way, I can choose which service I want to do each day.

It's been awesome to think about others consciously each day. Plus, I love reading the Christmas story. I'm excited for this new tradition and am anxious for when Jackson can really join in on the fun :)

Our service jar

Some of the "service activities" we came up with

Oh, and it was free :) That's always nice :)

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea!! I'm definitely going to do it next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of it is awesome!!! I love Christmas! One of my new favorites at work is when customers walk by humming or singing the Christmas song is playing. Love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you all!